Are you looking for a unique, sustainable building material to build or renovate your home in Tennessee?
Reclaimed wood might be just the job due to its unique and rustic patina arising from aging marks, knotholes, and nail holes. However, you must rely on the best reclaimed wood construction companies in Tennessee for quality products and services.
To get an excellent reclaimed wood construction company, you must consider its reclamation and repurposing techniques. You want to get an originally-sourced reclaimed wood that’s thoroughly de-nailed and kiln-dried for safety. A company that adheres to these requirements guarantees high-quality reclaimed wood that promotes sustainable construction.
In this article, I’ll discuss the 10 best reclaimed wood construction companies in Tennessee. I’ll cover each company’s products, services, and qualifications to help you make the right decision for your next build. Keep reading!
1. Smoky Mountain Vintage Lumber
Established in 2012 in Knoxville, Smoky Mountain Vintage Lumber is among the best reclaimed wood construction companies in Tennessee due to its finely customized products.
The company’s mission is to preserve and make reclaimed lumber readily available for construction projects throughout the Smoky Mountains region.
As a full-service custom wood shop, Smoky Mountain Vintage has a showroom and wood shop conducting kiln-drying and tree-milling operations.
As a specialized firm in the wood reclamation field, Smoky Mountain Vintage Lumber guarantees its customers the highest standards of quality craftsmanship and products.
The company prides itself on working with renowned businesses like Blackberry Mountain, Blackberry Farm, and First Watch Restaurants.
Smoky Mountain Vintage Lumber specializes in locally sourced reclaimed wood and ensures its customers get high-quality salvaged lumber with American history.
Its main services include:
- Handcrafting furniture: The company has experts knowledgeable in crafting furniture using reclaimed wood. It specializes in tables, benches, barn doors, headboards, bars, shelving, fireplace mantels, countertops, vanities, and cabinets.
- Delivery and installation: Smoky Mountain Vintage Lumber provides product delivery services within an agreed-upon schedule. It also offers full-service installation for clients who need it.
2. Southern Barnwood and Salvage
Based in Loudon, Tennessee, Southern Barnwood and Salvage specializes in architectural salvage, farmhouse decor, and reclaimed wood.
With a passion for preserving history, the company has been dismantling and repurposing wood from old structures for over 15 years. Therefore, it has experienced staff who know what makes authentic old-growth wood good for salvaging.
What sets this company apart is that Wilson, its founder, attended the Asheford Institute of Antiques, where he learned the details of antique appraisals. As a result, he applies this knowledge to ensure Southern Barnwood and Salvage offers its customers only quality salvaged products and services.
Besides, Southern Barnwood and Salvage offers free removal and cleanout of old wooden structures. Moreover, it provides soft salvage, a process that involves salvaging what they can without dismantling the entire structure.
The company’s unique approach entails dismantling wooden structures piece by piece. This means it salvages relevant materials by inspecting each piece for quality. Thus, you can rest assured of quality reclaimed lumber that originally went onto the structures.
Southern Barnwood and Salvage provides the following additional services at a fee:
- Layaway on select products
- Shipping for select items
3. Old Farm Reclaimed Lumber, LLP
Founded in 2005, Old Farm Reclaimed Lumber, LLP is among the best reclaimed wood construction companies in Tennessee because it targets old-growth lumber from pre-1940s barns.
It’s located in Johnson City and strives to reclaim the most authentic wood for its customers.
The company’s experienced staff scour the country searching for barns that meet demolition conditions.
Once a structure is identified, the crew demolishes and de-nails the wood for preservation and use in new projects.
Besides supplying reclaimed lumber, the company has professionals who handcraft wooden items for customers looking for ready-made products. Its focus has been on rustic home items and fine-cutting boards.
4. Born Again Barnwood
Located in Franklin, Tennessee, Born Again Barnwood has an inventory of thousands of board feet of reclaimed wood ready for shipment.
The company specializes in salvaged lumber from different species.
From repurposed tin, old hinges, and hand-hewn logs for mantles to barn wood in different sizes, Born Again Barnwood has something unique for everyone.
The company’s mission is to help clients fulfill their barnwood dreams. It achieves this by supplying original reclaimed wood, building different structures for clients, or helping in any construction works based on a customer’s specifications.
Besides building furniture, Born Again Barnwood has equipment for jointing, cutting, and planing lumber to different sizes and shapes, as requested by customers. It charges $45 per hour for these extra services.
5. Vintage Timbers
Since its establishment in 2013 in Kingsport, Vintage Timbers specializes in 100% original reclaimed lumber evidenced by its dense growth rings. It targets old barns and structures that are ready for demolition.
Vintage Timbers has an experienced staff who hand-select each board and earmark it for the most suitable use.
The company aims to preserve the original rustic patina in each piece of salvaged lumber through its piece-by-piece deconstruction approach. Therefore, any reclaimed wood you buy from this company comes with nail holes, aging marks, and knotholes that are responsible for its original character.
By targeting vintage log structures dating back to the 1800s, Vintage Timbers guarantees customers original lumber with a deep American history.
It tags, blueprints, and professionally dismantles the wood to ensure it’s delivered in pure form for rustic indoor and outdoor appearance.
Vintage Timbers specializes in the following:
- Reclaimed wallboards
- Reclaimed wood flooring
- Reclaimed beams
- Reclaimed mantels
- Custom furniture
- Ceiling planks
6. Greystone Lumber
Based in Springfield, Tennessee, Greystone Lumber specializes in barnwood reclamation.
It’s a family-owned and operated company that strives for excellence and professionalism.
As a company passionate about its products and services, Greystone Lumber has a team of experienced staff who guarantee quality services.
Besides barn wood reclamation, the company offers cabinet and barn removal and restoration services.
What sets this company apart is that it promotes green building by sourcing its materials from sustainably-managed forests. Therefore, most of its products, especially domestic lumber, are FSC-certified.
Greystone Lumber customizes and supplies the following:
- Handmade products: Ladders, bottle openers, candle holders, serving boards, and shudder sets.
- Hand-hewn beams: New milled slabs and rough-sawn lumber.
- Barnwood and metal: Red wood, gray wood, tobacco wood, roof metal.
7. Atlantic Reclaimed Lumber
Based in Elizabethton, Tennessee, Atlantic Reclaimed Lumber boasts itself as the leader in manufacturing and supplying reclaimed wood flooring, furniture parts, reclaimed barn wood, and other salvaged products from the 1800s.
It prides itself on an extensive inventory and expertise to meet the needs of large and small-scale customers.
What sets Atlantic Reclaimed Lumber apart is its prideful passion and commitment to high-quality products and services.
The company guarantees unmatched quality by believing in doing its very best to produce products it’s proud to attach to its name.
Atlantic Reclaimed Lumber promises to do all it takes, for as long as it takes, to see its customers’ dreams actualized.
With over 2,000,000 board feet (609,600 board meters) of reclaimed lumber, this company has the capacity to meet the demands of any company, large or small.
The best part is that the company’s full in-house team and a millwork facility make it possible to customize any order according to clients’ specifications.
Its reclaimed wood products include:
- Beams: Hand-hewn and sawn beams with a maximum size of 12″ x 12″ x 50′. The main species include oak, heart pine, mixed hardwoods, and mixed softwoods.
- Flooring: Beautifully-crafted flooring options ideal for any project.
- Wall and ceiling boards: Tongue and grooved, straight-line-ripped on two edges, or shiplapped options with uniform thicknesses.
- Mantels: Circle-sawn, hand-hewn, and sleepers options.
- Rough lumber: End-trimmed rough lumber for diverse applications. The wood is kiln-dried, metal-detected, and de-nailed.
- Mushroom boards: Freshly harvested and supplied in unique textures and chocolate tones.
- Stair parts: High-quality vintage stair risers, treads, and handrails.
8. Woodstock Vintage Lumber
Founded in 1996 in Nashville, Woodstock Vintage Lumber is among the best reclaimed wood construction companies in Tennessee.
The company is currently based in Chapmansboro and focuses on lumber restoration for different applications.
It targets abandoned warehouses, barns, and old buildings for old-growth timber.
Woodstock Vintage Lumber’s popularity is based on its extensive reclaimed material knowledge and expertise in crafting customized furniture. It offers two ways to buy:
- Purchase raw materials: Customers book appointments to purchase raw reclaimed lumber for their DIY projects.
- Custom design: Clients request customized products and structures. From start to finish, the company has qualified staff who craft furniture and products for customers.
Woodstock Vintage Lumber specializes in the following products:
- Accent walls: Barn wood accent walls from different species milled on the three sides for easy installation.
- Flooring: Milled to order using original reclaimed lumber from 1800s and 1900s structures. All floors are back relief cut to prevent warping.
- Doors: Custom-built in all dimensions using reclaimed oak, beech, pine, hickory, and poplar.
- Mantels: Ready-to-hang fireplace mantels in all specifications. Options include hand-hewn, rustic, symmetrical, and clean.
- Beams: Box and solid beams in different styles. Options include exposed and custom-ordered to meet different specifications.
- Furniture: Hand-sanded and custom-finished with three finish coats. Order customizations also include widths and lengths.
- Countertops: Options include regular and live-edge materials for all countertop needs.
9. Sons of Sawdust
Located in Nashville, Sons of Sawdust specializes in reclaimed wood and furniture. It sources and sells these products to its customers in Tennessee.
The company reclaims old-growth wood from structures built in the 1800s. It targets local materials that are at least older than 100 years.
By targeting local structures, Sons of Sawdust guarantees reclaimed wood with American history to tell.
The company’s unique salvaging process preserves the rough textures and age-worn shapes of its products for a unique look and feel.
Sons of Sawdust boasts itself as a supplier of eco-friendly materials by sourcing its products sustainably and focusing on meeting its clients’ needs in a unique manner.
What makes this company unique is that it offers woodworking classes for those interested in learning how to build reclaimed wood tables. It charges $150 per person for its beginner woodworking class, which takes two hours.
Sons of Sawdust supplies the following:
- Reclaimed lumber
- Customized farm tables
- Customized furniture
- Exterior and interior reclaimed wood products
10. Tennessee Wood Flooring
With over 30 years of experience, Tennessee Wood Flooring is among the best reclaimed wood construction companies in Tennessee. It’s located in Sevierville.
The company specializes in different types of wooden floors, including reclaimed lumber flooring.
Tennessee Wood Flooring is a family-owned company that takes pride in its high-quality products.
It combines decades of experience and excellent woodworking craftsmanship to meet its customers’ needs through top-quality flooring.
Tennessee Wood Flooring is unique due to its commitment to sustainability. Over its years in business, the company has searched for suppliers who employ sustainable forest practices.
Its sustainability approach promotes the following:
- Selective tree cutting: Not clearing all trees from the land by selectively cutting the trees to ensure the forest can regenerate easily.
- Tree planting: Planting more trees while harvesting to ensure the forest continues to grow healthy.
- Employing minimal impact techniques: Using sustainable practices to govern the use of heavy equipment when harvesting trees to ensure minimal environmental impact.
Furthermore, the company’s finishes are 100% free of volatile organic compounds (VOCs).
Tennessee Wood Flooring’s proprietary system yields floors well-suited to commercial and residential wear. The flooring is also easy to care for because it’s made to withstand staining, foot traffic, and scratches.
Some of the company’s reclaimed wood inventory include:
- Wine cask
- American square peg
- Cantilever plank
- Nantucket square peg
- Silver oak herringbone
- Heart pine
- Custom blended
- Asheville Gray
- Wall accent
Final Thoughts On The Best Reclaimed Wood Construction Companies in Tennessee
Now that you know the best reclaimed wood construction companies in Tennessee, why not try your hand at the woodworking game?
With various options available, you can create unique, one-of-a-kind furniture or structures using reclaimed wood.
Whether you’re looking for something traditional, modern, eclectic, or rustic, these companies have got you covered.
When selecting a supplier for your reclaimed wood needs, consider their reclamation approach. You want to source the material from a company that employs sustainable practices and understands the long-term effects of deforestation.
Finally, ensure the wood is de-nailed and kiln-dried for your safety.