If you’re an eco-conscious resident of Washington, using engineered wood is one way to promote sustainable construction.
However, one factor that might deter you from embracing this construction material is the hassle of locating the best supplier and contractor. That’s why it’s essential to have a list of the best engineered wood construction companies in Washington.
Engineered wood is an eco-friendly material because it uses fewer trees per plank. Moreover, recycling scrap wood and sawdust to manufacture engineered wood helps conserve the environment by reducing landfill waste.
However, you must only source your engineered wood from a reputable company that understands what goes into making a durable material.
In this article, I’ll discuss the 10 best engineered wood construction companies in Washington. From what makes each company unique and sustainable to its products and services, the list will help you choose an option that aligns with your needs. Keep reading to learn more!
1. Builders FirstSource
Founded in 1998, Builders FirstSource promotes itself as the provider of high-quality products and expertise to ensure the success of different construction projects.
With 26 Washington locations, the company makes ordering and shipping easy — no matter your location in the state, there is a nearby store to serve you.
Builders FirstSource has a highly experienced staff who supports custom and production builds, carries out repairs and remodels, and builds multi-family and commercial structures.
The company specializes in the following:
- Dimensional lumber: Pressure-treated dimensional lumber with rot-resistant chemicals to ensure longevity. This makes it ideal for damp applications like decking and posts in contact with the ground.
- Plywood: Available in different appearance grades like underlayment, natural surfaces ideal for finishing, and economical grades suitable for subfloors and sheathing.
- Oriented Strand Board (OSB): OSB incorporates innovative features like slip-resistant textures and OSB meant for roof sheathing.
With the largest inventories of engineered lumber throughout Washington, Builders FirstSource is one of the best companies for engineered wood needs.
2. Brooks Manufacturing Company
Established in 1915, Brooks Manufacturing Company is among the best engineered wood construction companies in Washington due to its vast experience.
The company specializes in engineered wood cross-arms and transmission framing components.
Brooks Manufacturing Company enhances green building by sourcing its products from sustainable forests. It incorporates this unique sourcing approach to meet current and future generations’ economic, social, and ecological needs.
The company’s environmental responsibility and goal for the highest-quality products sets it apart from the competition.
Engineered wood cross-arms braces from this company are designed to meet the highest standards necessary for the electrical utility industry.
Brooks Manufacturing Company designs and tests its braces to ensure they meet the stipulated quality standards for safe installations in electrical utilities.
3. Matheus Lumber
Founded in 1932 in Seattle, Washington, Matheus Lumber is among the leading companies supplying engineered wood products across the U.S.
The company’s dedication to sustainable building materials has made it the top supplier of forest products across the state.
Matheus Lumber boasts an experienced staff that has earned customers’ trust by building some of the best and most durable structures. The team specializes in commercial and residential buildings, multi-family homes, schools, roads, bridges, marinas, and more.
Besides supplying engineered wood products, Matheus Lumber provides pre-construction services like conflict identification, takeoff, and value engineering.
The best part is that this company partners with different vendors to make it easier for customers to select the best and most economical material that matches their project’s needs.
Matheus Lumber manufactures and supplies the following engineered wood products:
- Glued Laminated Timber (glulam): Strong glulams ideal for floor and ridge beams, columns, headers, bridges, industrial projects, and arches.
- Laminated Strand Lumber (LSL): They’re made to be strong and highly resistant to warping. Therefore, they’re Ideal for joist packages, beams, headers, and columns of load-bearing walls.
- Laminated Veneer Lumber (LVL): It’s ideal for joist applications such as flooring and rim joists. Its high resistance to warping also makes it suitable for headers.
Since this company uses a unique fire retardant treatment, you can trust its engineered wood products to provide superior fire resistance.
4. Hardel Mutual Plywood Corporation
With over 70 years of experience, Hardel Mutual Plywood Corporation builds superior plywood panels for different applications in Chehalis, Washington.
The company is among the best suppliers of engineered wood in the state since it uses the finest materials to manufacture its products.
Hardel Mutual Plywood Corporation fosters sustainable building by equipping its production facility with efficient machines.
The facility produces a variety of panels, including cabin-quality refined hardwood-faced panels and commodity CDX sheathing.
The best part is that the company is committed to environmental sustainability by reducing waste generation, protecting clean air and water, and using energy wisely. These sustainable production approaches have enabled this firm to achieve the following:
- A reduction in landfill waste by up to 250 tons annually by recycling boiler ash.
- A reduction in landfill waste by up to 500 tons by collecting and reusing waste wood.
- Increased use of renewable wood sources like Douglas fir and hemlock from sustainably-managed forests.
- Recycling of used oils, pallet boards, scrap metals, and cleaning solvents.
The company’s superior plywood panels include:
- Sanded: High-grade sanded plywood with a beautiful finish quality ideal for different applications.
- Siding: Plywood siding panels with subtle features of natural wood with a sense of individuality that’s hard to duplicate. It can be combined with other wood and non-wood products for an attractive construction.
- Sheathing: Consistent quality sheathing in line with APA stipulations.
- Overlay and specialty panels: The company specializes in medium-density overlay (MDO) and high-density overlay (HDO) with uniform saturation and phenolic resin for longevity.
5. Northwest Hardwoods, Inc.
Established in 1967, Northwest Hardwoods, Inc. supplies hardwoods for construction purposes with a focus on protecting the environment. It prioritizes carbon sequestration through hardwood.
The company achieves its sustainability goal by harvesting trees past their growth peak. This unique harvesting approach keeps the sequestered carbon in the wood for centuries.
Northwest Hardwoods, Inc. specializes in plywood as its main engineered wood product. It supplies plywood products under the following categories:
- Plywood to match: Industrial and appearance plywood suitable for diverse applications. This option comes in varying grades, cores, face veneers, and thicknesses to meet customers’ needs. The company uses TSCA-certified glue for indoor safety.
- Baltic birch: It’s a high-quality plywood that combines visual appeal and strength. It incorporates a unique construction approach that makes the core layer void-free. You can opt for the appearance or industrial grade.
- Meranti: Imported from Malaysia and Indonesia, Meranti plywood is known for its excellent quality and consistency. It’s ideal for custom cabinetry, lamination, and other interior and exterior applications.
- Specialty: It incorporates UV-prefinished panels, high-pressure laminates, and custom overlays for different applications.
6. Pasquier Panel Products Inc.
With an experience of over 150 years in the woodworking industry, Pasquier Panel Products Inc. is among the best engineered wood construction companies in Washington.
The company specializes in medium-density fiberboard (MDF), plywood, particleboard, and hardboard products manufactured in Washington.
Pasquier Panel Products Inc. has an experienced staff who shape and size materials to specific dimensions from 2 to 10-inch (5.08 to 25.4-cm) wide panels. Thicknesses range from 0.75 inches (1.91 cm) to over 2.5 inches (6.35 cm).
What sets this company apart is that it employs a multi-generational workforce while investing in apprenticeship programs. This approach helps bridge the gap between old-world craftsmanship and computer-aided modern technologies to manufacture high-quality products.
Besides standard-sized products, Pasquier Panel Products Inc. offers customization services whereby they can cut panels to specialized sizes and shapes, including honeycombs and slats.
Its primary services include the following:
- Wood fabrication: Fabricating custom wood panel products like particleboard, plywood, MDF, and hardwood.
- Wood laminating: Using automated and numerically controlled high-temperature lamination machines to create quality and durable wood laminates. These high-pressure laminated wood panels come in different colors, designs, and textures.
- Wood panel finishing: The company offers clear UV topcoats, fire retardant treatments, water-resistant sealers, and scratch-resistant coatings in line with building codes and regulations.
- Plywood manufacturing: Manufacturing and supplying scarfed plywood products with oversized dimensions.
7. Swanson Bark and Wood Products, Inc.
Established in 1928, Swanson Bark and Wood Products, Inc. manufactures and supplies quality wood products throughout the U.S.
The company specializes in engineered wood fiber (EWF) designed to improve playground surface safety.
It’s among the few companies in Washington dedicated to wood recycling and sustainability.
The company collects and recycles wood waste to reduce deforestation and lower the amount of wood that gets into landfills.
Besides using the collected wood pieces for manufacturing engineered wood fiber, the company converts damaged lumber into mulch, firewood, or biomass fuel.
Swanson Bark and Wood Products, Inc. offers wholesale and retail services to its customers.
8. TRM Wood Products, Inc.
Founded in 1969, TRM Wood Products, Inc. is a full-service lumberyard and hardware store in Maple Valley, Washington.
The company’s goal is to supply high-quality wood products to its customers. It’s committed to providing the most extensive lines of lumber-based building products.
TRM Wood Products, Inc. achieves its goals by employing highly-experienced staff who create products in line with customers’ stipulations.
Through dedication to service and quality, the company has earned a good reputation as one of Washington’s top engineered wood construction companies.
Its primary services include on-site milling, delivery, deck and shed designing, and plan take-off.
The company’s on-site milling services include arbors, gazebos, trellis, trim and fascia, bat siding and boards, live-edge fireplace mantels, planking, and large block dunnage.
The company also offers customized cutting services to suit customers’ needs. It’s renowned for its unique design approach, which emphasizes efficiency and quality while keeping up with industry trends.
TRM Wood Products, Inc. supplies the following products:
- Plywood/dimensional lumber
9. Washington Hardwoods
Founded in 1980, Washington Hardwoods specializes in high-quality architectural hardwood products. It supplies these products and the associated systems for class-A high-rise towers and commercial buildings in the U.S.
With over 35 years of experience, Washington Hardwoods boasts itself as an experienced industry leader committed to excellent customer service and integrity.
As a manufacturer and supplier, this firm specializes in many wood-based products, including engineered, solid, and veneer-wrapped doors and frames.
By offering FSC-certified products, Washington Hardwoods demonstrates its commitment to sustainability. This certification means the company follows sustainability forestry practices that protect the environment.
Its primary services include:
- Color-matching and finishing: The products can be prefinished in the factory based on specific requirements and color preferences. Besides the standard TR-2 Catalyzed Lacquer, the company uses other finish types based on a client’s specifications.
- Shipment and delivery: It ships all orders based on customer requirements in terms of time and address. The company offers mixed loads like doors, relites, frames, and moldings.
- Project management: With over 40 years of experience in project management, Washington Hardwoods is well-equipped to handle large and complex projects. Its project managers and estimators are knowledgeable in writing specifications and on-site inspections to ensure projects meet the required standards.
10. Limback Lumber
Located in Seattle, Washington, Limback Lumber is a premier supplier of specialized lumber in the Northwest.
With over 85 years in business, the company boasts extensive expertise you can rely on for your construction projects.
Limback Lumber has a large inventory of building materials, including engineered wood, for commercial and residential projects.
The company has a team of experienced staff who help customers choose suitable materials for their projects.
After choosing the ideal material, the company works with its clients from the start of the project to its end. This ensures the project moves in the right direction to save money and time.
The company’s in-house milling shop is operated by people with vast experience in crown molding and trimming. Therefore, if you need to match an existing crown molding on your project, they have the skills and equipment to make it happen by creating a replica.
The best part is that the company offers free deliveries. Thus, it’s your go-to option if you’re on a tight budget and want to save some bucks.
The company’s products include:
- Plywood and MDF
- Glulam beams
- Drywall and insulation
- Doors, roofing, and nail products
- Ductwork and vents
Final Thoughts On Engineered Wood Construction Companies in Washington
Now that you know the best engineered wood construction companies in Washington, you can confidently proceed with your project.
Remember, it’s essential to consider the services and products offered by each company. This will help you select a company that meets all your requirements.